A letter to my dear son on the eve of his first birthday

My dearest, sweet little Jeremiah,
I can not believe that I am writing this letter to you the night before you turn one year old! Last year at this time, dad, grandma and I were all together, watching a movie. I was half paying attention but my brain was going a million miles an hour. After the movie, we went to bed because we knew we'd have a long couple days ahead of us.

We had to wake up way before the sun to get ready to go to the hospital. Dad and I didn't sleep a wink. We arrived at the hospital nervous and very excited to finally meet you. While we were in the room, I was savoring your last few kicks and the last moments of it being just you and me. You arrived at 8:29am with the most beautiful little cry I have ever heard. I still remember saying to daddy "he's here!" Then I started to cry along with you...heck, I'm tearing up just remembering it!

And now here we are, a year later. The year has been a long one, but it went by way too fast. We have smiled, laughed and cried together. We've shared hugs, kisses, frustrations, and so many good times this past year and I am looking forward to so many more.

You fill my heart with such joy and love, I never knew it was possible. You can melt my heart in an instant when you crawl over to me, put your head on my shoulder and say "mama." You can reduce me to tears when you wake up with a nightmare and have a hard time calming down, like what happened this afternoon. I was doing ok and staying calm for you. Then you laid your head on my shoulder and wrapped your little arm around my neck and squeezed so hard and I knew you were having a hard time letting go of your bad dream. I wish so badly you wouldn't have to have bad dreams and that I could take them away.
I love the feeling of your soft curly hair on my cheek or under my chin. I love the peaceful look that washes over your face as you drift off to sleep in my arms for nap. I love how much you love daddy! It always makes me smile when you call out to him.

I just love everything about you and everything you are becoming!

My prayer for the next year is that you continue to grow into the sweet, fun, loving little boy that you are. I pray that your love for your new sibling will shine and you two will grow to be the best of friends. I pray you are never afraid to explore this big world around us and your love for animals continues to grow. I also pray that even though a big change is coming with a new baby, that you will always feel loved and special from both daddy and me. I am so looking forward to what the next year and years holds for you and for us as a family! You fill our life with so much joy! We just love being your parents little man!

Forever loving you,
Mama

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jeremiah is here!

Meeting--Matt's point of view lol

And God said "Wait"