To my baby boy on the night before his first day of 4k.

My sweet boy,
The time has come. The time has come for me to watch you spread your wings, and fly. It is time for you to start school away from home. My heart...oh my heart...it is so worried, so very excited, and so very anxious for this. I write this, and the tears start to flow. We met your teachers tonight, they both seem very sweet. You were scared. You wouldn't walk into the building. You had to be coaxed and carried in by grandma. You were nervous. You stood by me, half of your body behind me. We put your backpack in your cubby, school supplies in the bin, and we stood. Both of us nervous, but trying not to show it. After a couple minutes, I took you by the hand, and walked you around the classroom. We talked to Ms.Amber a few times. After a half hour, you started to warm up. You played with some blocks, and pretended to blow over a tower. By the end, you didn't want to leave.


And so tonight, I listen to you make cookies with Ellie and Dadda. I listen to your sweet voice as you play. I watch your small fingers, your little body and sit in wonder. Wonder how this year will grow and change you. Wonder at all this year has to hold for you. Tonight, I will pick your little handsome self up in my arms, read you a story, and pray with you and over you. I will pray Joshua 1:9 over you:  

“ Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

Then I will tuck you in bed, with a hug, a kiss, and probably a tickle. I will tell you I love you. Then I will shut off the lights, and close the door. And know that tomorrow starts a brand new chapter for you.

Tomorrow is your first day by yourself. This is a big moment! A huge moment for me. I have to trust your teachers. Trust that they will care for you, hold you when you cry, be patient with you if you have a potty accident or get upset, and help you make friends. Oh how I hope you make many friends quickly. Tomorrow. We will wake up, eat breakfast, get dressed and head off for your first day. Will I be able to stop the tears if you don't want to leave me? Will I be able to stop the tears as I walk up the stairs and leave you? I hope your first day goes so wonderful. I can't wait to hear all about it.
And so as my heart breaks at the thought of letting you go into the school world, know this. I am so incredibly proud of you! I am so excited for you and the things God has in store for you. But most of all, I love you so very much. Letting you out in the world wouldn't hurt so much if my love for you and all that you are wasn't this strong.
I love you so much Jeremiah.
Have an awesome first day of 4k!
Love,
Mom

Comments

  1. My tears are flowing as I read this. I have many of the same feelings. I just want to protect him from the world, but I also know that only God can truly do that. Thank you for sharing Christel.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jeremiah is here!

Meeting--Matt's point of view lol

My First Mother's Day!