April 8th, 2015

This is taken from how I wrote it to a group of women I'm a part of online. We all met on a forum, and all had babies in April!

So the morning of April 8th, we arrived at the hospital at 5am. We were shown to our room and I was hooked up to the heartbeat and contraction monitors. It was nice to sit and listen to our baby's heartbeat for the last 3 hours of her being in me, I was also enjoying feeling her kick and move about. Nurses were in and out throughout the morning. Around 7am, we met with the anesthesiologist. I was hoping to has the same one that I had with Jeremiah but it was a different one. She had her list of questions to ask me. One of them was along the lines of do you get out of breath with minimal physical activity. When I told her no, she just stared at me. This was the first time I have ever run into a doctor from our hospital that was judging me from my size. When I said no, she asked "you can climb 2 flights of stairs without being out of breath?" I said, yeah, I can actually walk over a mile before becoming out of breath" SHe just looked at me. Ugh!! After she left, my doctor came in and checked on me and after that the O.R team came and met with me and then we were off to the operating room a little before 8am. My husband was left behind to change while they put the spinal block in. 
In order to do the spinal, I had to sit near the edge of the bed, with my knees apart, leaning forward with my hands on my knees. There was a nurse standing in front of me on a step stool since the table was raised to help me keep from falling off. It didn't help lol! I had trouble getting into position and arching my back the way she wanted. I got frustrated with myself and felt scared and worried that they'd have to put me under. So I started to cry. The nurses were great at reassuring me and the anesthesiologist became a little more patient. After finally getting into the right position, she was able to try to get it in place. I kept feeling pain in different parts of my hips so it took her 4 times to get it in the right spot. I literally can feel each spot on my back where she tried. 
She finally got it in place and things started to go numb...I hate that feeling! The nurses helped lay me down and my doctor and another doctor from the clinic came in. Being bigger, they had to tape my stomach up and they way the did it put a lot of pressure on me so I had to remind myself to take deep slow breaths. After what seemed an eternity, my husband was allowed in the room. I started to cry again seeing him but quickly calmed down. The doctor then did her pinching tests to see if I could feel anything, which I couldn't. They began the surgery. I don't remember much other than a lot of pressure and having to take slow breaths. The worst part of it for me was when they were actually pulling Elliana out. They were tugging and pulling and pushing so hard...it was very uncomfortable. I was actually grunting and breathing like I was in labor. Finally at 8:49am my beautiful daughter was born! Her cry was so little and so sweet and once again, the tears flowed! It was such a beautiful moment! After 9 months of worrying over everything, she was finally here and she was perfect! The doctors finished cleaning me out and started putting me back together while Elliana got cleaned up. Because of the way they taped up my stomach, I wasn't able to do skin to skin, but she was right on my shoulder the whole time. 
I was basking in her sweetness when I started feeling nauseous. I thought it would pass but when my mouth started to get warm I knew I couldn't hold it back. I told them I felt sick and moments after taking baby off my shoulder I was puking. It was quite the feeling puking while strapped down, cut open and numb. The med doctor put some anti-nausea meds in my iv and the feeling quickly passed. They brought Elliana back to me. She was so calm and peaceful. She'd glance at me, at Matt and then close her eyes. If I talked to her or kissed her, she'd open her eyes again. All the doctors and nurses were so amazed at how calm she was. She only cried the little bit right after being born! 
After awhile, I let baby go to the nursery with hubby because I was starting to doze off. It didn't take them long to finish up and I was being moved from the table to the bed which is always an experience. Once on the bed, I was wheeled back to my room and began skin to skin with Elliana. Elliana weighed in at 8 pounds 5 oz and we left the hospital with her weighing 7 pounds 10 ounces.
We were in the hospital until saturday. We tried nursing but it didn't work which I was expecting. So I'm pumping and bottle feeding it to her.
 Postpartum things are touch and go. My incision is healing well and I hardly need my pain meds anymore! I do get some bad headaches but they go away with the strong ibuprofen and some caffiene. My back is badly bruised which I'm sure is part of where the headaches come from, spinal headaches are no joke! The baby blues have hit. They aren't as bad as when I had Jeremiah but its still rough dealing with it. The tears can flow easily at little things or sometimes nothing at all. I am used to holding my feelings in and not talking about it but one thing I learned, is saying what is on my mind, no matter how stupid it may be, helps so much. I will still be mentioning it to my doctor though on friday.
 Elliana is doing well at home! Our first couple nights were rough but we figured out what was going on and she was just been an angel! Right now she eats every 3 hours during the day and every 4.5-5 hours at night! Big brother Jeremiah has been handling the change well although he has moments where he feels left out so I make sure to spend one on one time with him. It's a big change for everybody! All in all things are pretty good here!"

So that was her birth! The baby blues stuck around for about 10 days, which is much better than the 6 weeks with Jeremiah. My incision healed quickly which was nice! I bounced back from the surgery much quicker as well. I was pretty much back to normal around 2 weeks post partum. Elliana was and still is one of thee easiest babies ever! She started sleeping 5 hours at around a month. And by 6 months, she was only waking once a night to feed. She is now almost 9 months, and sleeps from 8pm-7:30am without waking! We love it!!

Jeremiah had a really hard time transitioning with a new baby in the house. I don't know how many toys and books bounced off poor Elliana's head. He is getting much better now that he can interact with her. He loves greeting her in the morning and after nap. He is so silly around her to try to make her smile. He does not like it when she gets into his toys though!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jeremiah is here!

Meeting--Matt's point of view lol

My First Mother's Day!